- What is intellectual property?
Wikipedia defines intellectual property as "a term referring to creations of the intellect for which a monopoly is assigned to designated owners by law. Some common types of intellectual property rights (IPR) are copyright, patents, and industrial design rights; and the rights that protect trademarks, trade dress, and in some jurisdictions trade secrets: all these cover music, literature, and other artistic works; discoveries and inventions; and words, phrases, symbols, and designs."
Not all intellectual property is protected to this degree; in fact, many of the world's greatest ideas and products have been shared freely and without copyright restrictions. But as a content creator, you should consider formal protections for ideas and materials for which you've spent time, money, and effort to refine.
- Is this a coaching program?
- Not exactly; it's really more of an individualized educational process. This is a series of working sessions to help you organize, unify, and transform your content. At the end of the process you'll better understand how to think about your content in the future.
- How do I know that I'm ready for an Expand Your Territory (EYT) program?
- Most people who come for coaching or consulting already have a speech or a book or some kind of training program that contains their unique concepts, approach, methodology, or system. They're interested in expanding their influence by adding to the ways they deliver their content, and at some point they've expressed concern about protecting what they've created. Potential EYT clients may be aware of some of the possible outlets for their content, and some bring specific ideas about what they want to pursue. The EYT Programs explore dozens of options for content delivery, and the choices we make together are ultimately based on your level of interest, your time constraints, and your budget. For example, if you dislike blogging, Toolie can find other ways for you to stay in touch with your community.
- Do I have to file for copyrights and trademarks?
- This is a question which can be addressed in your coaching or consulting sessions. As with any strategic business decision, you will want to consult a suitable attorney, and Toolie can refer you to one of several who specialize in intellectual property protection.
- Why can't I just figure this out myself?
- You probably could. But a lot content creators get bogged down in the implementation details, and the projects they begin are rarely completed. Toolie has the analytical, educational, technical, and implementation expertise to guide you towards the content delivery solutions that work for you. We'll find the combination of product, interactive engagement, and instructional materials that suit YOU.
Let's work together to expand YOUR territory! Contact Toolie to arrange a Content Opporutnity Session to discuss the next steps for profiting from your intellectual assets.